The Breast Diaries

Q & A: Does it matter who the radiologist is that reads my mammogram or other breast imaging studies? Why?

October 25th, 2012

By Stacey Vitiello, MD

  •    It matters who reads your mammogram. If your study is read by a radiology doctor (radiologist) who practices general radiology or another radiology subspecialty and only reads a few mammograms per week, you are probably not receiving the best care. Yes, the guy is board certified and is licensed by law to read your mammogram. But I am licensed to read all radiology studies as well, even though my specialty is breast imaging. Doesn’t mean I should muddle through interpreting the next brain or shoulder MRI that comes my way.
Read More